The popularity of milkmaid braids in 2009 evolves into the braided hairstyle trend in 2010. While it's natural for hair trends to evolve between the years, the resurgence of plaited / braided hair is mostly as a result of the hairstyle heavily featuring on the Spring 2010 catwalks. Particularly prominent on Alexander Wang's Spring 2010 runway, we also spotted them at Miuccia Prada's Miu Miu Spring 2010 and, increasingly, amongst street style pictures.
There are two distinct braided hairstyle looks for 2010: the long side braid, and the fish plait as seen on the Missoni Spring 2010 catwalk.
- Great with any hair colour
- The side braid can be paired with the slicked side hair style for an edgy interpretation
- The fish plait is 2010's take on the simple pony tail
- Both the side braid and the fish plait work great with a fringe; see the pictures of Abbey Lee Kershaw at Alexander Wang in the inspiration gallery for the best example
- Similarly: don't thread your fringe, whether it's cut as a blunt fringe or not, into the braid; instead it is best to style the fringe loosely; see the pictures of Anna Selezneva in the inspiration gallery for the best example
- The fish plait can be worn with a centre part
- The side braid can only be worn with a side part and the part must be on the opposite side of the head to the braid. If you're stuck for a mental picture when styling this in front of the mirror one evening, simply think of it as the Rapunzel braid
- Both styles are great for the Autumn (Fall) / Winter 2010 and Spring / Summer 2010 seasons